ORONO – Micah Wright was arguably the University of Maine’s most dynamic threat on the gridiron last year, but staying on it has proved to be a problem. The star receiver and punt returner was suspended alongside two other teammates to start the year as a result of a student complaint and has missed the entire season, following up on a two-game suspension that caused him to miss two games in 2016 as well.
But now, the Black Bears are set to get their talented wideout back.
The university confirmed Wright would be returning to the squad as of Wednesday.
“Micah Wright is eligible to practice and play, effective Sept. 20,” senior director of public relations and operations Margaret Nagle said via a statement Wednesday afternoon. Wright indeed returned to practice, his first official work with the Black Bears in the 2017 school year, as he missed all preseason action due to the suspension.
Not on the field though was defensive star Uchenna Egwuonwu, who was suspended with Wright along with since-returned running back Darian Davis-Ray.
“The status is unchanged on the third student-athlete, Uchenna Egwuonwu,” Nagle said in the statement. “Regarding student conduct proceedings, the University of Maine does not comment.”
Wright’s seven touchdowns led the Black Bears last year, and he would be a welcomed addition to a UMaine offense led by a redshirt freshman quarterback. Team sources indicated Wright was unlikely to play against No. 1 James Madison this weekend, but head coach Joe Harasymiak would not rule it out completely. He did note though, Wright has a hill to climb in order to get on the field.
“Our camp is three weeks long, and that’s with summer training, and obviously he missed some of that, but obviously today will be his first day out here, so we’ll move,” Harasymiak said Wednesday.