BANGOR – Bangor fire crews responded what was reported to be a hazardous materials call this afternoon.
Turned out to only be a garbage truck that caught on fire.
Officials say a worker from Casella noticed a chemical taste in his mouth after picking up some trash and then saw smoke coming from the back of the rig.
Fire crews responded and discovered someone had actually put something hot in their trash which caused the truck to catch fire.
Assistant Fire Chief Anthony Riitano says the driver did the right thing by pulling over on a remote section of Bennett street where he dumped the load of burning trash.
That saved the truck and fire crews managed to snuff out the flames without a problem.