BREWER– As a parent, you do whatever it takes to protect your children.
“We cover the outlet holes and we gate things off and we lock cupboard doors,” said Roxanne Noddin.
But despite all the precautions we take to protect our children, there is one danger hiding in plain sight that could take a child’s life in only 60 seconds.
“My husband had put him down for a nap and I was at work and he had gotten up from his bed, because he was in a toddler bed, not a crib anymore, and so he woke up from his nap and he went over to the window. He liked to look outside and see the squirrels. And he must have just gotten tangled and pulled on the cords or the blind and that was it,” said Noddin.
Noddin lost her two year old son Jacob 10 years ago, and now, especially during National Window Safety Week, she is speaking out to all parents so they don’t experience the tragedy she endured.
“There is no such thing as a safe corded window treatment. Period,” said Noddin.
This tragedy is not uncommon, prompting the formation of the group “Parents for Window Blind Safety.”
Founder Linda Kaiser leading the push for a mandatory safety standard for window blinds, and while that regulation has yet to be set, window treatment companies are still hopping on board.
“A retailer called Select Blinds took all of their cords and junked them for kids. They trashed all their cords for kids. And so we are applauding Select Blinds for doing that,” said Kaiser.
You can join the campaign, #gocordless, on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, and also visit parentsforwindowblindsafety.org for more information.
Parents for Window Blind Safety and Select Blinds are also holding a contest called “Project Cordless.” People are encouraged to submit inspiring stories on the organization’s website, and one winner each month will win a free set of cordless blinds.