STATEWIDE – Decorations inside the house could also put you at serious risk this holiday.
The consumer product safety commission said that last year 6 people were killed and 14,000 were hurt due to decoration related accidents.
Officials at Eastern Maine Medical Center remind people to be careful on ladders when decorating and to make sure small objects are kept out of reach of children and pets.
Matthew Derosby, PA-C, EMMC said “Especially comes to those small things that we put on our trees that can pose a serious choking hazard for kids when they get curious and look at those and put them in their mouths. And don’t forget our little doggies and kitties that might be curious as well because they could try to chew on those things thinking they’re food and wind up in some trouble.”
A reminder to also keep trees at least three feet away from any heating source and to never drink and drive.