LIBERTY – Police said flammable materials close to a wood stove caused a fire that destroyed a home in Liberty Wednesday morning.
Firefighters were called to Millstone Drive around 6 a.m.
Officials said the home was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived.
Two people were home when the fire broke out, but they were able to escape safely with their pets.
They remind people that storing wood and other items close to a fire can be dangerous.
Fire Chief Bill Gillespie said “A lot of people like to put things on their wood stoves to dry their gloves or warm their boots. If they are within two feet, three feet they are too close. It could be an issue where they just ignite and we have this situation.”
Fire departments from several towns responded to the blaze.
Officials said they had problems getting water to the home that’s located on a dead end road. They also had problems with slippery road conditions.