AUBURN – A dozen homes were evacuated in Auburn yesterday because of a gas leak.
The Auburn fire chief said a woman trying to pull out of her driveway on Western Ave. hit a gas pipe when her vehicle slipped on ice.
One neighbor said he was just getting in the shower when firefighters told him and his wife they had to get out.
Resident Michelle Marchand stated “A little bit of panic, I mean we could smell the gas and hear the whistling going on from it leaking and when they showed up at the door we thought ok it’s time we have to get out of the house.”
Crews evacuated a dozen homes surrounding the leak and cut power to the street until the gas company was able to shut the gas off.
After an hour and a half crews were able to contain the gas.