WATERVILLE – Investigators say an electrical problem caused a fire earlier this month that destroyed a Waterville apartment building.
Six people were left homeless February first when flames erupted in the home on Summer Street.
Fire officials said they tracked the source of the fire to electrical wiring inside a wall on the second floor. They believe insulation on an old type of wiring broke down and caused a short.
One fire fighter and some of the tenants had to receive treatment after the fire.
Officials said the home wasn’t equipped with working smoke detectors and some of the tenants almost didn’t make it out.