BANGOR – Firefighters are hurting themselves to save us in more ways then one. Legislators in Augusta are now pushing a bill that eliminates the flame retardants causing cancer in firefighters.
Even our local heroes have to do their laundry, and they face problems just like the rest of us. Unfortunately, a firefighter’s laundry may be just as important as the jobs themselves. A new act being pushed in Augusta is helping to protect firefighters from the very reason they’re washing their gear
“The industry is using different retardants right now that are actually causing higher rates of cancer” said John York, a local Bangor firefighter. It turns out, your flame retardant furniture actually has more dangerous chemicals then furniture without it.
“As they burn, they burn at a different rate. They produce different toxic gases. the soot is much different” said York. He continued to say, that most new furniture is now being made without these harmful chemicals, but the proposed bill will prohibit the last remaining companies from continuing the use. “We’ve had to change the ways we do business over the last few years. We really focus on trying to get more clean. We even keep baby wipes on the trucks.”