PITTSFIELD – Some people said it sounded like a bomb going off last night in Pittsfield.
Turns out it was two large propane tanks catching fire at the Walpole Woodworkers facility.
It was around 9:30 p.m. Sunday when people reported what sounded like an explosion coming from the company on Park Street.
The fire chief said two 1,000 pound propane tanks had caught fire and were sending flames shooting 50 feet in the air.
The flames were so hot, the crews had to allow the tanks to vent before they could get close.
Officials said the tanks had just been filled over the weekend and they suspect a faulty pressure valve malfunctioned and caused the fire.
PHOTO COURTESY: GARRISON TARDY