ORONO – Officials said a combination of burning cardboard, un-seasoned wood and a dirty chimney were the cause of a minor chimney fire in Orono Thursday evening in Orono.
Orono firefighters got the call around 7 p.m., they said flames and smoke were coming from the chimney of a home on Cromwell Drive. When crews arrive, the flames were not visible, but the chimney was still smoking.
Firefighters said they were able to use chimney chains to break up the built up creosote, and clean out the chimney.
Captain Brian Hardison of the Orono Fire Department wants to remind people that even though the weather is getting warmer, chimneys must be clean if being used.
Captain Hardison said “It’s good advice to get your chimney cleaned, get all the creosote from the winter out, and to burn properly dried material, make sure it’s not wet, and not paper products and cardboard, because that goes right up and will catch that creosote on fire.”
Fortunately for the home owners, the home sustained no damage. .