LINCOLN – Authorities have identified a man who was killed Wednesday night during an explosion in Lincoln.
They said Robert Stuart, 67, was killed instantly at his home on the Stanhope Mill Road.
Rescuers were called to the home around 7:00 p.m. after Stuart’s wife called for help.
He was found in the basement where the incident happened.
Officials stated family members and neighbors claim the homeowner had been experimenting with explosives for months.
Dan Summers, Lincoln public safety director, said “There was a question of explosives that were possibly involved, and the report that these explosives could have been purchased online. So with that information, we cordoned off the area, and made sure that everyone was away from the residence.”
There was only a little damage done to the house.
Members of the state police bomb team we’re also called to the scene to make sure the area is safe.
The Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office will investigate.