SCARBOROUGH (WGME) – Officials say a house fire in Scarborough started with fireworks.
It happened on Lillian Way, crews arrived around 2:30 a.m. this morning.
The Scarborough Fire Chief said the homeowner picked up the used fireworks after a show in the neighborhood Tuesday night and threw them in the trash beside the house. The fireworks remnants were still warm and caught the trash, and then the house on fire.
Scarborough Fire Chief Michael Thurlow said “Our message: be real careful with consumer fireworks, not only the safety of igniting them but also picking them up afterwards. They are all encased in cardboard and a lot of that still stays warm for a period of time.”
Chief Thurlow said the recommendation from fireworks manufacturers is to soak the cardboard in water after to ensure it is completely out.
Those inside the home were woken up by smoke detectors. They all made it out safely.
The home has extensive damage on the second floor and water damage on the first.