ORONO – A chlorine leak caused an evacuation in Orono Friday morning.
Emergency crews were called to the University of Maine’s Cooperative Extension lab on Godfrey Drive Friday morning when an error was made in a processing procedure, causing two chemicals to mix and release chlorine gas into the lab.
Orono Fire Chief Geoff Low said that due to the location of the building ventilation to remove the gas was difficult and that is when the building was evacuated and crews were called in.
The Orono and Glenburn fire departments, the Maine Department of Environmental Protection, the Orono Police Departmetn and the University of Maine Ambulance Corps help control the chemical release.
“Any hazardous material call is a slow process,” Low said. “It has to be very methodical. There’s a lot of safety procedures that go along with it,”
No injuries were reported and the public’s safety was not at risk.