BANGOR – A self-storage facility on Union Street was heavily damaged by fire Tuesday evening.
The fire at Econo-Storage of Maine, located at 1286 Union Street, was called in around 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Bangor’s fire chief said the fire was contained to one of the buildings on the property, but there was significant damage.
“Appears the fire started somewhere in the middle, which has made it difficult for our crews,” said Bangor Fire Chief Tom Higgins. “They’ve had pretty heavy fire in the center. Everyone knows what storage units look like, they’re usually packed right full of assorted products and everything. There’s a pretty good fire load in a building like this, as long as it gets the oxygen to get going, and that’s what they had.”
Higgins said there were no injuries reported, and thanked other area fire departments for helping to cover the city while Bangor responded to the scene.
A portion of Union Street was shut down for hours as firefighters worked to put out the flames.
No word yet on an exact cause.