BANGOR – According to Interim Superintendent Kathy Harris-Smedberg, the Bangor School Department saw an increase in cases of COVID-19 over the weekend.
There are now confirmed cases of COVID-19 in a student or staff member at Bangor High School, William S. Cohen School, Mary Snow School, Fruit Street School and the Downeast School.
Harris-Smedberg said there are currently 170 students and 35 staff members in quarantine.
She said Bangor High School and the Cohen School have moved to remote learning through Dec. 4, and the plan is to return to in-person classes on Dec. 7.
“The number of teachers that had to quarantine was such that we wouldn’t have the capacity to adequately supervise students that were in person,” Harris-Smedberg said.
According to Harris-Smedberg, the Bangor School Department has had a total of 15 cases of COVID-19 so far this school year.
She said they frequently keep in contact with the Maine CDC.