DEXTER – A Dexter couple was forced out of their home Sunday when a garage fire spread to the main part of the house.
Crews were called to Pleasant Street in Dexter after 5 p.m.
The owner said he believes the flames started from a malfunctioning furnace in the garage attached to the home.
Everyone got out okay.
“It was pretty quickly determined that we had a pretty good fire on our hands. Our captain who lives right down the road here was able to get eyes on the fire and automatically trigger a second alarm which puts us to a five department response,” said Dexter Fire Chief Matthew Connor.
Connor said the Red Cross was notified that the couple couldn’t stay in their home Sunday night.
The fire marshal will be investigating.