ORRINGTON — The Hermon location of a Thursday afternoon campaign stop by Donald Trump Jr. has been changed to the Calvary Chapel Church in town.
Calvary Chapel sued Gov. Janet Mills earlier this year challenging the constitutionality of her executive order barring in-person worship services.
The campaign rally is scheduled to begin in Orrington at 5:30 p.m.
“When their previous location withdrew out of intimidation, that the word was out Calvary Chapel was not intimidated,” Pastor Ken Graves said by phone. “I was grateful for the call.”
The Orrington church sued Mills in federal court and lost, but is appealing the decision before the First Circuit Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston.
Greenway Equipment owners Tyler and Mitchell Smith issued a statement saying they were contacted by Department of Health and Human Services Commissioner Jeanne Lambrew on Tuesday evening.
“She referenced the state’s guidelines for large gatherings and stated that if there was noncompliance with the executive orders and guidelines, the state would take all reasonable and practicable actions to protect the health and safety of Maine people,” the statement said. “Upon receipt of that letter and after consultation with the Trump campaign officials, they made the decision to move this rally.”
It added, “To say that our family is disappointed is an understatement.”
“The threat of repercussions on our business caused concern, and despite our efforts, we realized that some variables were beyond our control,” the Smith brothers said.