BANGOR – The number of new COVID-19 cases reported in Maine Wednesday was the highest since mid May, prompting the governor, CDC director and DHHS commissioner to hold a briefing, warning residents of what might lay ahead.
In the wake of the active coronavirus cases continuing to climb, Governor Janet Mills urged people to continue COVID-19 protection protocols.
“These cases may be associated with private gatherings like dinner parties with friends or relatives,” Mills said.
As she has throughout the pandemic, Mills said using face masks, practicing social distancing, and washing hands regularly will defeat the virus.
“The question before us now is the same one we faced back in March: Can we control it? And the answer depends on every one of us,” said Mills.
The governor says COVID-19 knows no boundaries.
“You may think you’re at low risk, but don’t be fooled,” said Mills. “Don’t be fooled.”
Earlier this year the greatest number of COVID-19 cases were concentrated in nursing homes or congregate care facilities, “but today, we’re out and about which means the virus can and has been hitching a ride and traveling farther and wider across the state, from home to home to home,” said Maine CDC Director Dr. Nirav Shah.
“It’s not about my issuing an order today. It’s not about my telling people when they can and can’t shop or open a business or go to school. It’s about everybody using common sense and getting this thing under control,” said Gov. Mills.
Shah says the state is in the midst of a surge, which will bring an increase in the number of cases every day, but exponential increase would be a worst case scenario.