VASSALBORO – Fire claimed the life of a 26-year-old Hussey Hill Road man Thursday.
According to public safety spokesman Steve McCausland, Nicholas Blaschke died in the fire which was reported early Thursday evening.
McCausland said it is believed the fire was started by an overloaded toaster. He said Blaschke’s mother discovered the fire when she returned from work. He said she tried to get him out of the house but was unable to pull her son outside.
According to McCausland, Maine State Police Lt. Scott Ireland lives nearby and got Blaschke out of the house but was unable to resuscitate him.
He said Ireland was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene.