AUGUSTA – Two more people have died from the coronavirus in Maine, according to the state CDC, which made the announcement during a press briefing on Tuesday.
The CDC director says both victims were women in their 80s who were hospitalized during the time of their deaths.
One was from Kennebec County and the other from York County.
This marks a total of five deaths so far in relation to the spread of COVID-19 in the state.
Maine CDC director Dr. Nirav Shah announced Tuesday 303 people across the state now have tested positive for the coronavirus.
Shah said they have dealt with almost 700 backlogged tests in the past week.
“We are continuing to move forward with our plan to send a certain number of our samples to an outside third party commercial laboratory,” Shah said.
Dr. Shah also added the plan is an effort to speed up the process of testing for “quicker, faster results.”