STATEWIDE – In June, Maine Credit Unions set out to raise money to benefit the Good Shepherd Food Bank and other food pantries across the state.
They exceeded their $100,000 goal, raising $227,000. That’s according to Jen Burke of the Maine Credit Union League.
Money raised includes a $100,000 donation from Synergent which kicked off the month-long, online fund raising challenge. Synergent is a Westbrook-based company owned by the Maine Credit Union League.
Burke says the money will go towards the Good Shepherd Food Bank’s COVID-19 response as well as other community food pantries across the state.
She added that it was a labor of love for the league’s credit unions, members and vendors.
“Credit unions are local, and so we see it every day with our members,” said Burke. “And we just don’t want anyone to struggle, so our credit unions across the state did a huge push to encourage people to make a donation to our $100,000 ending hunger challenge.”
According to a release, 75% of the funds will go back to community food pantries while the remaining 25% will go to the Good Shepherd Food Bank.