HOLLOWELL (WGME) – State regulators opened a second investigation into Central Maine Power Company over misleading statements in disconnect notices.
Members of the Maine Public Utilities Commission pointed out Tuesday afternoon that CMP had previously been warned.
The notice in question states: “If you fail to contact us, we can disconnect your electric service during the winter months without the approval of the Maine Public Utilities Commission.
MPUC commissioners said that is not the case.
The company is required to get permission to disconnect any occupied residence between Nov. 15 and April 15, they said.
“The company agreed to cease using the notices and remove that specific language. Despite this assurance, it appears the company may still be using notices that contain this statement,” MPUC Chairman Phil Bartlett said.
A CMP spokesperson said CMP will cooperate with the investigation and “feels there is clearly an opportunity to improve public understanding of the law, as well as the goal of the company to have customers communicate with us if they are challenged in paying bills.”
CMP has one week to respond with how many notices were sent out and why.
The company could face financial penalties for each violation.